THE MARINI FAMILY

WELCOME TO THE CRAZINESS OF OUR LIFE WITH TWO BOYS!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sparks

What do you call the thing right before it becomes a flame?  A Spark.  Welcome to flag football for 4 to 6 year-olds.  We're a flame in training.

Last night kicked off the beginning of flag football season for us.  As I have said in the past, shockingly it is my favorite sport of the year.  Yes, even over basketball, which is hard to admit.  But, listen, everybody is head over heels in the honeymoon phase of any relationship.  It's the good part, the part you love no matter what.  When flag is no longer an option and the helmet and pads become the next level, we're done and I can go back to loving basketball again.  Until then...let's go grab some flags!

Ryan Marini, Number 6 for the Sparks.
His words:  Mom, if someone comes to watch me play, tell them I'm number 6.  If they don't see the 6, tell them my last name is Marini and that is the name on my back.  Okay Mom?  Tell them so they know to find me.



I have no words.  Well, maybe a few.  But I'm practicing to be nicer, and understanding, and....appropriate.



The one difference between Matthew and Ryan....sheer determination.  If Matt missed a flag, he was done.  If Ryan missed, he is back up and full force to his target.




Here's the deal.  I wish I had more pictures.  I wish the ones I took were better quality.  I wish, I wish, I wish.  But it became very evident early in the game, when he saw me raise the lens of the camera that this whole thing was not to be captured on film.  He yelled at me from the middle of the field to put the camera down.  So, I had to get creative.  Oh, and along with not being able to take any pictures, we are not allowed to cheer for him as well.  That's right....No yelling, no cheering, no celebrating.  Nothing.  We are going to become that silent family that others talk about.  People will question why we even bothered to show up if we weren't going to support him.  I'm not used to this.  I told him last night that I am the biggest fan he will ever have...EVER...and it gives me the ultimate pleasure to root for him.  His response...."You can only cheer for me when I have the ball."  HIS FINGERS DIDN'T TOUCH PIGSKIN THE ENTIRE NIGHT!!!!! 

I told Rich that I know what I want for Christmas...A camouflage chair and a telephoto lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment