THE MARINI FAMILY

WELCOME TO THE CRAZINESS OF OUR LIFE WITH TWO BOYS!

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Rich vs. Heather

If you are out and about this weekend, head on over to the Marini's because we are having our annual garage sale for end of summer/early fall. Please don't confuse this one with the end of winter/early spring garage sale, or the spring is over/let's make room in the garage before summer is here, garage sale. This one is COMPLETELY different than those other ones. Get it straight people!

My goal for this garage sale, like ALL THE OTHERS, is to get rid of as much SH@# as I can. I am not the kind of person that has emotional attachment to things. I get emotionally attached to things like children and Sandra Brown books...but that is really about it. Now, my husband on the other hand, can't throw stuff away. He might entertain the idea of making money from it, but Goodwill doesn't benefit from him ever cleaning things out. If you went into his closet right now there would probably be a shirt HANGING UP from the late eighties. He probably wore it one night to God only knows where, has a "hysterical" story that happened while wearing the shirt, so it will be with him for life. Me, on the other hand, I have nothing in my closet from last fall. If I don't have empty hangers, then what would be my excuse to Rich to fill them up?

I have been working in the boys toy room for the past 45 minutes. I think I am making great progress. I have successfully chosen a few toys to keep for the boys and boxed the others with the price tag $.10 or free to good home. Our boys have too much. All kids do. But, here the deal. Christmas is a hop, skip and a jump away...and so is both of my boys birthdays. So every year when we plead to the grandparents not to get toys again, they pretty much laugh at us and attack Toys R Us like it is the dollar store. I am simply planning ahead.

What I would like to document now is the "I told you so" part of the post. My "I told you so" is this....Rich told me to go through their toy room and box up all of the stuff that I think should go in the garage sale. Okay, check! Now here is where it gets interesting...tonight, when he gets home from work and goes through EVERY box I have put together, he will take at least 40-50% of the stuff out of the box and say, "No. No. No. No. We are not getting rid of this. And this...Heather, don't you remember when they played that game last summer for five minutes and had so much fun. We're not getting rid of it so take it back in the house." That is my "I told you so." Do you remember my previous post where I mentioned that Rich might be a hoarder? I wasn't joking.

The funniest part of this...Matthew told his teacher he would not be in to school tomorrow (Friday) because he had to stay home to work the garage sale. His teacher simply looked at me and I assured her that he would be at school and not to worry, we only abuse child labor laws on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment